This is a step-by-step guide to fitting an arm piece using the existing arm piece as a pattern.
1. cut out the arm front, along the machine line, to give an exact pattern for the arm front
2. pin to fabric, right side of template to wrong side of fabric (so right of both towards table)
3. mark a 2cm seam allowance and cut out - snip into the curve to better fit the arm front
4. machine piping to arm inside/outside. Lay piping on fabric, with piping seam in line with fabric edge - fabric right side up - see second picture
5. pin and tact arm front to piped arm piece (so right side facing inwards), ensuring fits without any gathers or puckers
6. machine in place, and fit arm to chair
Andrea Austin, upholsterer and tutor of Plush Upholstery