This is a snapshot of the renovation of a louis style chair.
The steps taken were:
- strip back to frame
- new webbing on seat
- sew in new springs
- cover with hessian and sew springs to hessian
- fresh hair and fibre
- hessian over and regulate well
- sew roll edge
- second stuffing with best hair and fibre mix
- wool wadding over hair
- calico and then top fabric; william morris 'the strawberry thief'
- seat back reinforced with webbing
- hessian and hair and fibre
- wool wadding
- calico and top fabric
- antique nail trim
- dust cloth
Finished - wood cleaned with linseed oil and white spirits mix, and polished with soft cloth.
Andrea Austin, upholsterer and tutor of Plush Upholstery